Thursday, March 3, 2011

OUR PICK OF MFW AW11 - FASHION JUNIOR

Posted by Fashion Junior at Large

The Fash Ed is currently negotiating the busy streets of Paris, and I am sure she will have plenty of insider gossip to report upon her return next week. In the mean time, this is the time of year when we analyse every look from every collection - and I mean every look. Before we get swept away in the glamour that is Paris Fashion Week, it's only fair to give Milan it's due attention, so here are my personal picks.

(Before anyone chides me on the high ratio of black outfits, Milan Fashion Week generally only offers three options: black, sparkly, or both. So it's a wonder that I found any colour at all!)



Dolce and Gabbana - a collection of two halves, and what truly awesome halves they were! On one side, the girlish and glamorous, on the other, tough tomboy chic with added retro-ness (see below). Everyone is raving about the floaty star print dresses, but this turquoise glittery number really sparked my imagination. I like how it's a simple, glittering block of colour that you can style many ways, and the long sleeves earn extra cool points.

 Dolce and Gabbana (part II) I couldn't limit myself to one pick from this collection. Having never been one to shy away from a sequin, I am drawn to these spectacular trousers, and enjoy the contrast with the masculine Teddy boy coat. An outfit for days when you feel a bit La Roux-ish. Did I mention the boy shoes?! Brogues and sequins; like I said, awesome!

Sportmax. A lovely treat for the eyes at the end of a fairly minimalist collection; this flamboyant embroidery is just wonderful when combined with the sheer chiffon and neutral colour. I like how covered up it is too, with that appealing midi length and long sleeves (again). Librarian chic, nice.  


Antonio Marras. Another tricky collection to pick just one look from, it was full of 1930s inspired midi-dresses, in a palette of black, navy and cream, topped off with genuinely wrinkly Nora Batty stockings. I don't know why that is a good thing, but trust me when I say it is! But this outfit was primarily chosen for those fantabulous shoes: platform, peep toe, granny-strap, old-fashioned RED DREAMS. They even match my lipstick!


Pucci. Something worrying has started to emerge from Milan - the return of the Afghan coat. Seventies chic is alive and well, but that is one trend that I cannot cope with. The furry collar and hem of this decadent jacket alludes to that late Seventies look, but is a little more chic than a shaggy old Afghan. Pucci, on the whole, seems to be getting stronger and stronger, a real favourite here at FEAL HQ.


Gucci: wowarama. This collection was full on, in your face glamour, with lashings of snakeskin, fur, chiffon and colour. Teals, purples, turquoises; Frida Giannini has dictated the shades of the season. So if you are going to pick a red carpet dress, why look anywhere else? Anything that floaty and floral instantly brings out my inner Kate Bush, which is always fun!

Check back for the Fash Ed's picks, and no doubt updates from Paris!

All pics: Chris Moore Catwalking.com

0 comments: